About Heather.....

I am a wife to Blue and a mommy to Campbell and Piper. I love Jesus and I am humbled and thankful for the life He has blessed me with.

My team

My team

Piper Claire

Piper Claire

Campbell Brooke

Campbell Brooke

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Kick the Pedestal

I will be the first to say that I love Pinterest. It is my cookbook, my creativity for parties/showers, and my inspiration for decorating my home. While I would love to have the opportunity to give a high five to the creative genius that invented this masterpiece, I will also be the first to say that there are often times I look at it and a end up feeling like the laziest wife and mother on the planet. I just want to lay my head on the table and pray for my husband and my children. Whether it is a link to show me how to make my own laundry detergent or sew my child's Halloween costume, pictures of mothers doing loads of craft projects with their children, or a list of romantic gestures to do for my husband..............well, I feel like it's all a joke about me.

The fact is, my intentions are good. My desire is to make healthy, homemade meals every night for my family and have it on the table by 6 pm. My plan would also involve playing Candyland everyday with my girls and maybe throw in a weekly educational craft. And let's not forget the hubs.......with all the romantic gestures I'd be throwing at him he'd think we were newlyweds.

My reality is much different from my intentions. Here is a little bit of my reality...

  • I am doing good if the day includes me getting to wash my hair.
  • If you've seen me and asked yourself "Was she wearing that yesterday?"......yep, I probably was.
  • Just recently, my girls had to wear dirty socks for the second day in a row because I still hadn't washed their clothes. My 5 year old even called me out on it.
  • I found some pipe cleaners in my craft tub the other day that have been there for well over a year. I had gotten them to do a craft with the girls..........I totally forgot I even had them

The list goes on and on.

Tonight the girls had gymnastics and I did not have time to cook dinner, so we picked up a pizza on the way home. They survived AND they loved it. After I got them bathed and in bed, I was tucking in Piper and she asked me if I would cuddle with her for a little while. I climbed in bed with her, we laid there and hugged, and she giggled while telling me all about her day. Instead of feeling guilty about not cooking a healthy, homemade dinner, I sit here on cloud 9 that I was able to have such a sweet moment with my little girl.

It is so easy to let ourselves feel like we are less of a mother or wife if we are not able to stand on the pedestal that Pinterest and social media have the tendency to create. I say we kick that imaginary pedestal that we keep trying to climb on to the curb. The reality is, life can get crazy and there are times we just have to give ourselves grace. I treasure my role as a wife and a mom. I need to remember that the Lord did not put Blue and the girls in my life so that I could compare myself to other women filling the same role. Being Pinterest worthy is not what qualifies me as a good wife and mom. Loving my husband and my children in a way that glorifies the Lord and giving them the confidence and security in knowing they are my number one treasure on this earth..................well, that's what matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment